As video home tours are becoming more commonplace it’s important to understand how best to navigate this medium in order to get the most out of your viewing.
There are plenty of recommended questions to ask when touring a property in person, but what about when you’re viewing it remotely? Here are some critical questions you should ask before, during and after a virtual home tour.
What to ask your agent before your viewing
- Is there a floorpan of the home to reference? – Having a floorpan to refer to during the tour will give you a better idea of the size and layout of the rooms as you are shown round the property.
- Can the tour be recorded? – Having a video of the call will allow you to go back and review features of the property again, along with providing a backup in case of connection issues.
Questions to ask during a virtual home tour
During the property tour don’t be shy! Try to ask the same questions as you would in person, and in most cases you will have to ask even more to make up for the fact that you can’t experience everything you could in person.
- What are the noises like inside and outside the home? – Be sure to ask about everything you would normally associate with senses to get the best idea of the property. If the home is on a busy street or near popular public areas this may be a concern.
- Does any aspect of the property look worn or damaged? – It’s not always easy to tell from a video so be sure to get close up pictures or video of areas of the property that may be damaged.
- Can you show the views out of the windows? – Be sure to find out what you can see outside the windows.
- How old are the appliances? – The life expectancy of appliances can vary and is often overlooked in many home tours.
- Where does the natural light come from? – This can help give you a better idea of how much light each room will receive.
- What are the general sounds of the house? – Do the stairs or floorboards make noise?
- Do you notice any odours? – This is a big one! You don’t want to buy a home only to find out that there is a lingering smell inside or outside.
Questions to ask after your viewing
- Did anything look noticeably different from the listing photos? – Sometimes listing photos can be shot to accentuate a feature that does not look as appealing in person.
- Can you explore the neighbourhood? – This is especially overlooked on virtual property tours. Ask your agent if they can take you on a virtual neighbourhood tour after viewing the property in order to get a better idea of the area.
- Did you notice anything that might be of concern? – Since your agent is seeing the home in person now is the chance to ask them if they saw anything that could potentially be of concern.
For more information on how to navigate a virtual property tour, get in touch with one of our local Squamish agents.